A gluten-free and vegan French apple tart with thinly sliced apples, glazed with homemade orange jelly and fresh sprigs of thyme.
70 g potato starch
205 g almond flour (almond flour or peeled ground almonds)
1 vegan egg (1 tablespoon of crushed flax seeds, 3 tablespoons of water)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (1 tablespoon of it to grease the mold)
1 pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 lemon, zest
4 large apples
2 oranges (juice)
1 vanilla bean
2 tbsp maple syrup
100 ml water
2 tsp potato starch
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C, top/bottom heat. Prepare the vegan egg – mix 3 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of crushed linseed. Now weigh the wet and dry ingredients for the dough, combine and knead well. Mix with the vegan egg. Grease the tart pan with coconut oil and dust with potato starch.
- Press the dough evenly into the tart pan and prick the bottom with a fork (see photo). Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes without filling and then remove it, but leave it in the pan.
- Meanwhile, peel the 4 apples, remove the core, quarter them and cut the quarters into very thin slices (see photo). Arrange in a circle from outside to inside in the crust. Of course, you can also create a different pattern or cut the slices a little thicker if you prefer to keep it simple. I definitely worked on this shape for about half to three quarters of an hour until it looked like this. Tip: If the apple slices are cut really fine, then they are more flexible and can be pressed into a semicircular shape more easily.
- As soon as the apples are all in the crust, bake the cake again on a medium rack at 180°C for 15 minutes until the edge of the dough is lightly browned and the apples, too (see photo).
- Squeeze out the oranges, scrape the vanilla pulp out of the bean, heat both together with the vanilla bean and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes, then remove from the stove. Mix 100 ml of water with 2 teaspoons of potato starch in a separate container and be sure that there are no lumps. Add the starch mixture to the orange juice and bring to a boil, simmer for 1 minute. Stir well. Now the mixture should thicken and should have a jam-like consistency, perhaps a little more fluid than jam.
- Spread the orange glaze evenly over the apples, dust with cinnamon and garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme. The cake can be kept covered in the fridge for two days. Enjoy!
Keywords: cake, tart, apple tart, gluten free pie crust, apple pie, vegan apple pie, gluten free apple pie